Its been a while since I posted here on the blog but now I have come back with a new recipe!
I was actually just tweaking my recipe I made last month of a Healthy Birthday Cake (will be posting soon!) when I changed it and turned it into these Espresso Blondies instead! These babies are gluten free and egg free. I’m really happy with the turnout of these blondies especially since it was my first time trying to experiment with egg free substitutions. They are great for those of you with a gluten or egg intolerance and can also be made vegan* (see notes)!
They are perfect as part of a snack, after dinner sweet treat or whenever you feel you want one! Kid friendly (taste tested by my 7 year old sister) so the whole family can enjoy and you cant even tell they are healthy! They are also full of nutrient dense ingredients so that you can enjoy yourself and nourish your body at the same time with a little caffeine kick from the coffee 🙂
I hope you enjoy these and if you try the recipe, let me know what you think below in the comments! 🙂
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour , separated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coffee (I used Nescafe Gold Roast)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 chia eggs** , divided (see notes on how to)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Chocolate Chips to top
How to do it:
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). In a glass pyrex or tray line with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray (make sure whole piece is sprayed) and In a food processor, blend the chickpeas until chopped (its OK if there are still pieces)
- place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mix together the 1/4 cup coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder and chickpeas
- Stir in the milk, vanilla extract, honey, coffee and 1 chia egg
- Place the mixture back into the food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth and contains no more chickpeas lumps, place mixture back into the bowl and stir in the remaining chia egg and mix in the chopped walnuts (optional)
- Spread mixture into the tray evenly. top with chocolate chips and bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool before removing from tray.
*Use dairy free milk such as almond, rice, oat etc. , agave syrup instead of honey, and vegan chocolate chips to make this vegan!
**Mix 1 tbsp Chia seeds with 3 tbsp water and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes and stir every 5 minutes, this makes one chia egg.