Hi guys! Its been a while since I have posted, life got busy and sometimes it gets in the way but that is completely normal. I hope you all had an amazing Christmas and Happy New Year! Happy 2016 to you all!
Today I am bringing you a new recipe that I found on Pinterest, that i have adapted a little. Chicken Quinoa Soup! Now I LOVE a good home made chicken noodle soup because of all of its hearty benefits but swapping the noodles for quinoa just made this classic ten times better! I made this for dinner for me and my mom and she loved it! So did my brother and little sister 😛 . They had never eat quinoa so them liking it was a good sign! 🙂
photo creds: here
If you try it out, please let me know what you think! Also don’t be afraid to make this soup suit your own taste buds by omitting or adding ingredients of your own. If you do, leave a comment below on what you did and how it turned out. I’m always open to new ideas! 🙂 (original recipe will be linked below)
Chicken Quinoa Soup
Recipe inspired by Happy Healthy Mama !
- 3-/4 cup quinoa (rinsed well)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 7-8 cups reduced salt vegetable/chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk spring onions (green onions), chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
How to do it:
- In a large pot on medium heat, heat the olive oil and pour in the onion, spring onion, carrot, garlic and bay leaves. Cook until just about softened (about 5 minutes).
- Pour in the vegetable stock and quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and put in the salt, paprika, tumeric, pepper, oregano and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Cover with a top and leave to cook for about 15 minutes (until quinoa is cooked and soft) stirring ever 5 minutes or so.
- Pour in the chicken and cook for 5 minutes (to reheat and infuse).
Serve warm with a side salad or on its own and enjoy!! 🙂