You know what i love about muffins? That they are so easy, yummy and you can easily take them with you as an on the go snack/breakfast or if you are just craving something sweet! But now a days, those delicious little muffins you like to get at your favorite cafe or bakery (or anywhere in general) are full of added sugars, and full of unhealthy ingredients that do more harm than good to your body.
I found this recipe on Amy’s Healthy Baking (link to original recipe will be posted further down) and adapted it a little to make them protein muffins and added in blueberries to the recipe as I had some in the fridge but you can use any berries you like! 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) whole wheat or gluten-free* flour (measured correctly)
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (200g) mashed banana (about 2 medium)
- ¼ cup (60g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp (45mL) honey
- ¼ cup (60mL) nonfat milk
- 1 cup (160g) diced fresh strawberries (about 8 large)
- 2 tbsp (28g) miniature chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, protein powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed banana and Greek yogurt, mixing until no large lumps of yogurt remain. Stir in the honey. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour in 3 equal portions.) Gently fold in the strawberries, blueberries and chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the muffin cups for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack.
Original link to recipe is here !
If you try these let me know! Enjoy!