I dont know about you but i’m always on Pinterest looking up new clean eating recipes and desserts and just sit there drooling over the computer screen as i look at some of those creations :p One of my August goals is to try a new recipe every week so this week I went out and bought some wholewheat flour and decided to make one of these delicious clean desserts I found on “Amy’s Healthy Baking ” website! . I ended up choosing the Apple Cinnamon Cake, and let me ust tell you, it was delicious. Even my family liked it!! (Which usually never happens when it comes to healthy desserts, especially my dad as he is so picky with healthy foods 😛 ) I decided to share this with you guys as it was too good not too! I will post the recipe here but the original link will also be posted below!
- 1 cup (210g) thinly sliced red apple, between ⅛” to ¼” thick (about 1 large)
- 1 ¾ cups (210g) white whole wheat (or whole wheat/all purpose flour/almond meal/whole wheat pastry flour) or gluten-free* flour (measured correctly)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (14g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (120mL) pure maple syrup
- 6 tbsp (90mL) nonfat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat a 9”-round springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the apple slices in a microwave-safe bowl, and cover the top with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute 45 seconds. Carefully remove the plastic wrap, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix in the Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps remain. Stir in the maple syrup. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.)
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apple slices in a circular pattern, beginning with the outer rim before finishing with the interior, and gently press each into the batter. (See the photos in the blog post above.) Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes. Place the cake pan onto a wire rack, and let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing the sides of the pan. Let the cake cool completely before serving.
Original link: http://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2015/08/12/simple-cinnamon-apple-cake/
If you try it please comment below or on my instagram (@effe_bbg ) tell me what you think! I would love to know! Also if you have any good clean/healthy recipe ideas, feel free to comment below and share !