I love cookies. Especially Subway Double chocolate chip cookies I went through a phase where I would go and buy at least 1 subway cookie a day! I think cookies are such a nice, easy, delicious treat but their nutritional values arent very nice … Now don’t get me wrong, having a cookie every once in a while is ok, but not everyday.
Sometimes you just get that craving for something sweet and chocolatey but you don’t want to eat something that will clash with your new healthy eating lifestyle or diet. That’s where this healthy cookie dough comes in! This cookie dough is amazing as a little sweet treat! The main ingredient…chickpeas! Now, I know what you are thinking, how can chickpeas be a dessert? Trust me though, once you sweeten it up with some natural ingredients, you won’t be able to tell the difference! The chickpeas also give it a nice protein boost!
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed thoroughly (approx. 1 400G can)
- 1/3 cup chunky or smooth nut butter (peanut, cashew,almond, sunflower any are fine)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 3-4 tbsp honey, agave or maple syrup (or a serving of stevia)
- 2 tbsp flour/meal of choice (flaxseed meal/oat flour/whole wheat flour/almond meal etc.)
- As many chocolate chips as you like!! I broke up a small bar of 74% dark chocolate ( I will probably use 85% next time) 😛
- 1/8 tsp salt (if nut butter contains salt, omit this ingredient)
OPTIONAL: 1 scoop protein powder of your choice (I used vanilla but you may use any flavor)
NOTE: I have not tried it with PB2 so do not know the outcomes of using PB2, but if you try please let me know 🙂
Also, I used vanilla protein powder in the mixture so did not use the vanilla extract but if you want it to be more vanilla-y you can add it ( i may add it in next time ).
1.Place chickpeas in a food processor and blend until smooth (there might still be pieces, that is OK) Add nut butter, milk, salt (if using), vanilla, and milk until smooth and creamy.
2. Add sweetener, flour/meal of choice (and protein powder if using, this will give it an extra boost).
– the amount of sweetener may need to be decreased if your protein is really sweet.
Blend/Process until well, adding small amounts of extra milk if you want it creamier.At this time, taste test the mix and add any extra sweetener to taste (if needed).
3. Stir in chocolate chips, or break up chocolate bar and enjoy immediately or refrigerate for a few hours!! I stuck mine in the freezer for 30 min and then put in the refrigerator although eating it straight from the processor was good too!
If you want, you can also line a baking tray and spoon onto the tray to make cookies! Cook in the oven at 350F for 10 min.